Cindy Sheehan for Governor of California stands with other activists and socialists in calling or a 15/hr minimum wage, but we feel that even this falls far short of where we need to be in a society that has a more just distribution of wealth.
To equalize the distribution of wealth, along with a minimum wage, there must also be price freezes to start to drain some of the income from the deep and seemingly bottomless pockets of corporate CEOs and other management. Along with price freezes,
discussion of a "minimum" wage must also be accompanied by talk of a "maximum" wage indexed to what the lowest paid worker of any place of employment/corporation receives to insure a fairer distribution of profits.
Cindy Sheehan for California Governor is in complete agreement with the platform of the Peace and Freedom Party about employment and wages:
Labor and Full Employment:
- We demand a socially useful job at union pay levels or a guaranteed dignified income for everyone.
- We support the establishment of a Universal Basic Income (UBI) to alleviate poverty and homelessness.
- We call for a 30-hour work week for 40 hours' pay and abolition of forced overtime.
- We demand a legally mandated annual paid vacation of at least 4 weeks.
- We demand expansion and enforcement of job health and safety laws. We call for the restoration of all labor rights previously won by women and their extension to men as well.
- We demand paid parental leaves and time off work for childcare.
- No prison labor for private profit. Living wage and full union rights for any prison labor.
- Defend workers' rights to organize, form union caucuses, strike, and boycott.
- No replacement of striking workers.
- Federally-funded public works programs to rebuild the nation's infrastructure and restore the environment.
- International solidarity of workers against international capitalist schemes such as NAFTA and WTO in defense of jobs, wages, working conditions and environmental laws.
- International trade agreements must guarantee the protection of workers and democratic rights in all participating countries.
- A rank and file socialist-oriented labor movement to mobilize working-class people to assume ownership and control of the economy.